Our towing service is on-call for all towing emergencies. If you’ve been pulled over and lost your licence – we can tow your car. Our tow truck drivers are available 24/7. But next time you have a drink – think before you drive – zero tolerance.
Here are the facts from the TAC (Transport Accident Commission):
- 1 in 5 driver fatalities in the last 5 years had a BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) >0.05g/100ml
- Unsurprisingly the peak times for drink driving are night time (6 pm – 6 am) throughout the week
- Weekends see an extended risk with Drink Driving hours – starting at 4 pm on Fridays and 2 pm on Saturdays. Sunday mornings are also a high-risk time.
Victoria Police: Booze Bus
Fortunately, for the vast majority of drivers who do not drink drive – the Victoria Police are proactive in breath testing drivers. Apparently, more than 75000 drivers have been caught exceeding the legal limit since 1997.
Signs of alcohol impairment and the Penalties
Usually, impairment begins with a BAC of 0.02. Drivers who have had even a small amount of alcohol are more likely to
- Misjudge distances
- Take risks
- React more slowly
- Be sensitive to red lights
- Have impaired peripheral vision
Every person reacts differently to alcohol, it depends on your body weight, fitness level, and of course the amount consumed. Be aware that standard drink recommendations to keep your BAC low may not accurately apply to you.
The penalties applied are harsh, according to Vic Roads. If you’re caught drink driving with a BAC >0.05 you will:
- lose your licence
- need to complete a Behaviour Change Programme
- have an interlock installed on re-licensing
These same rules will apply to Victorian license holders even if you’re caught interstate.
In this day and age, there is no excuse for drink driving – public transport is good and reliable and there are plenty of rideshare apps at our finger-tips.
Our tow truck drivers are often called to accident scenes – we are here to help with all roadside emergencies but we would like the roads to be as safe as possible for all drivers